Nagahama (長浜市, Nagahama-shi) is a city located in Shiga Prefecture, Japan on the northeastern shore of Lake Biwa. The city center was developed and renamed by Toyotomi Hideyoshi when Hideyoshi moved the center of his administration from Odani Castle. Kunitomo (国友), the northeast of the city center, had been known for the production of arquebuses and guns since 1544.
As of October 1, 2016, the city has an estimated population of 119,043 and a population density of 170 persons per km². The total area is 680.79 km².
The current city is now historically located within three former districts; Sakata District, Higashiazai District and Ika District.