Kaminoyama Castle was built in Kaminoyama, a strategic point on the Ushu Highway and a hot spring resort town. In the Edo period (1603-1867), it was called “the great castle in Ushu” because of its beauty. The magnificent castle tower was torn down during the Edo period, but an imitation castle tower was built in 1982 to remind visitors of the castle's former glory. Tsukioka Park, where the ruins of the castle are located, is famous for its seasonal flowers and is a popular walking course in the emotionally rich hot spring resort area.
Kaminoyama Onsen is the collective name for hot spring resorts located in seven districts of Kaminoyama overlooking the Zao Mountain Range. Kaminoyama prospered in the Edo period (1602-1868) as a castle town watched over by Kaminoyama Castle dating back to the Nanbokucho Period (1337-1392) and as a post town along the Ushu Highway. In this town that retains its historical flavor, a yu-meguri tour (a tour of public bathhouses and footbaths) is popular with visitors clad in yukata (Japanese bathrobe). There are also a variety of Inns where you can enjoy an open-air bath with a panoramic view of the Zao Mountains and cuisine that includes foods from the sea and mountains of Yamagata.